Remember, April is the month to share your passion with Greens Mill! Tell us what you are passionate about by using the hashtag, #shareyourpassion, and we will find the perfect sign for you!
I love being able to make signs for people every day! It gives you an opportunity to share your passion when you decorate. But when I’m not at work I'm immersed in my other passion, cooking for my family.
Cooking gives me a way to spend time with my kids, and I like to involve them in the food creation process. I think it's an important life skill with an immediate reward! Even our dog Charlie likes to participate, as you can see here. She's our cleanup crew in case anything drops on the floor!
After a long day of work and school, making dinner together allows us to maintain a healthy relationship. It's a great bonding experience and an exercise in cooperation. Afterward we all sit together as a family and talk about our day and tell jokes. They cringe at my "dad" jokes but I know they secretly like them :)
One of the best things about cooking at home is the health aspect, it's healthier than eating out! We typically have a lean meat, whole grain, fruit and vegetables.
Here's what we fixed for this blog post, one of April's (my wife and their mother) favorites:
Garlic Cheddar Chicken
1/2 cup butter
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1.5 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (pounded thin)
1) Marinate tenderized chicken breasts in Italian dressing for 30 minutes
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
3) Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, cook garlic for 5 minutes
4) In a bowl, mix the Panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano, pepper, and salt.
5) Dip each chicken breast in the garlic butter to coat, then press into the bread crumb mixture.
6) Lightly spread additional Panko bread crumbs (dry bread crumbs, no cheese) into a 9x13 baking dish to keep chicken crispy at bottom during cooking.
7) Arrange the coated chicken breasts in baking dish
8) Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken is fully cooked.
Derek's notes: This is based on a Garlic Cheddar Chicken recipe with modifications to make the chicken more flavorful and tender while having a crispy coating. Once cooked, the dish can be placed under the broiler to give a crispier texture. My family loves the bits at the bottom of the dish! It's a bit decadent so I don't cook it all the time, but we LOVE it!